Sunday, May 24, 2009

work

So not too much has happened in the last two days. At this new facility PT and OT take the weekend off so Sat. and Sun. Cory gets "CT" aka Chaney Therapy. And let me tell you what we have made some huge strides haha. I have just been making sure that Cory stays limber in all of his joints and muscles. He says that he is in a lot of pain now. I hope that's a good thing meaning that he is getting feeling back. I don't know for sure though.

Cory has been enjoying being able to swallow. He has now had 3 chocolate shakes thanks to his brother and my dad. And two Bahama Bucks Shaved Ice (strawberry, in case you were wondering). He has been sipping chicken broth too but tonight he got really bad indigestion and threw up in his mouth. He isn't too happy about that. He is still getting the majority of his nutrition through his g-tube but as he starts to eat more with his mouth they will start to turn down the amount of food through his g-tube.

So, earlier this week after the bloody trech episode and the trip to the hospital Cory received his "speaking valve" that plugged his trech hole so that Cory could talk. Even though Cory at that time was taken off the vent he still had oxygen that was giving him quite a bit of air. Also, even though Cory had the speaking valve, which could be taken off and on, he was still breaking through the trech in his neck. Today however Cory received a "trech plug" which now requires NO OXYGEN and Cory is now breathing through his NOSE and MOUTH. When the RT first put on the plug Cory was freaking out a bit because he said "I think I can feel the air passing through my nose hairs" haha that cracked me up. I guess I should probably trim those for him (I have never done that before so we will see how that goes haha)

Speaking of things I have never done before, I have to tell you I have become quite the face shaving pro. Its amazing how much harder it is to shave someones face compared to your own legs. But thanks to Cory's best friend I even got the technique of putting a cold wash rag on after. I never knew that guys faces got hot after a good shave.

Anyways Cory got quite a few visitors today. He has had several extended family members fly in to see him and and even though its been under such horrible circumstances its been very enjoyable to visit all of our family and friends that have come to support Cory. All of the love that has been shown is really whats been getting Cory through this. So, thank you to everyone that has come a supported Cory.

Cory is really getting strength back in his upper body. We are still a L O N G ways away from "normal" but in "CT" we have been working had and it is paying off. I am going to try to talk to the case worker over Cory either tomorrow or Tuesday to get more of a plan to see what the future holds for us so lets keep our fingers crossed that we will be able to move on from this facility into a more intense rehab facility soon. Cory is ready to start working hard....I told him his arms are the same size as mine and so he wants me to bring in a measuring tape so if I remember I will post those results. haha

No comments:

Post a Comment