Monday, May 18, 2009

ho hum....

If its not one thing its another...

Well we found out that the new place that we are moving to has an open bed hurray right?...wrong

I swear its a new adventure every single day I arrive at the hospital because there is a whole 10 hrs. at night that I haven't been updated on. Soooo....I guess last night Cory was having a hard time digesting anything which they are telling me is no big deal except for the fact that he is also having a lot of gas building up in his tummy that he isn't being able to pass so it just sits in his stomach (causing a lot of pain) until they take the biggest syringe I have every seen and suck the gas out through his g-tube. I don't know about the rest of you but that seriously fascinated me for some reason.

Anyways, Cory also had another sleepless night and then for some reason (I forgot to ask why) they decided to draw some blood (since they already took out his pick line and his art. line in prep for transfer to the new facility they had to do it through a normal vein) and they found out that his white blood count is elevated AGAIN!!!! So they are doing some cultures and have decided to keep him in Critical Care until they can rule out the cause of a new infection.

If its not an infection they are thinking that the rise in white blood cells could be due to stress from yesterday trying to turn down the ventilator. I didn't know this but I guess they said that he was on vent trials yesterday and they said that he was breathing on his own for quite a while with very limited support. However he didn't do so well so they had him on heavy support again today.

He was up on the tilt table again today for about 15min so I am told...PT came a little early today so I missed it. And then in OT Cory brushed his own teeth...YEAH!!! He has been practicing his control in his arms and his right one is really starting to show some big improvement.

Cory wants me to come back to the hospital tonight to "train" a friend that is going to take a shift, how to take care of him. HAHA he is too funny for some reason he gets scared that people that haven't taken shifts wont know how to understand him or take care of him right. So I will be heading down to the hospital again tonight.

1 comment:

  1. I can't say I blame him, I would want to make sure they knew what they were doing too.:) Things like this seem to be such a long road but atleast he is better than he was 2 weeks ago. The progress may be slow but it is progress. When you hit these bumps that put you back....that is frusterating, I am sorry. I continue to pray for his progress and for you and your family to have the peace you need to get through this. Thank you for your updates, I check them everyday.

    ReplyDelete