Monday, June 15, 2009

Its ME CORY!!!!

Hi guys! Well, I got my trech out last week on Thursday at about 6 o'clock.

This is Chaney now, Cory typed that first line and then he got to tired to finish. It took him a good 5 min. to type that line. But hey I am proud that he did that much. I told him that he is going to have to start blogging his story because it will be good therapy.

Anyways, sorry I haven't blogged for a while, I have been a little selfish and I have been watching the show "So you think you can Dance" during the time that I would usually blog. My friend Ashley who I used to dance with made the top 20 so if you are into that show PLEASE VOTE FOR ASHLEY!!!

So like Cory said he did get his trech out...and let me tell you it was a happy day. Its so weird they do not even stitch it up after they take it out they just let it close on its own. I wasn't there when they took it out but it was pretty gross looking in the pictures seeing a huge black hole in his neck. But at least its out.

The other exciting thing that happened last week is that he is now able to push himself around in his own wheel chair. It scares us a little because of the numbness he still has in his hands but he is just careful not to get his fingers caught in the spokes.

Cory has been continuing to do so good. His strength is coming along remarkably fast. The therapists are all in awe. The Dr. said last Thursday that he thinks Cory will be able to come home in 3 weeks so now that means 2 1/2 from today. And let me tell you what Cory is ready.

In OT Cory learned in a simulation room how to get in and out of the shower on his own. He transfers from his wheel chair along a "slide board" that helps him make a bridge and then he slides across onto a shower chair in the tub. He also did the same technique to learn how to get onto the toilet. Wow it is amazing the things I take for granted. Its hard for Cory to do these things but he is such a trooper and keeps me and the therapists laughing the whole time. Seriously he comes up with some of the wittiest comments and he doesn't stop talking the whole time. I think it must be therapeutic for him haha. At least it keeps things interesting and entertaining for the rest of us.


Today in PT Cory was put in this crazy machine that suspends him in the air while standing and he was able to put weight on his legs and WALK!!!! it was amazing. but SOOOOOO PAINFUL!!!!! Tomorrow Cory is going to be Beat!!! He still has numbness everywhere so that is why it is so hard for him to type and do other fine motor skills but we are happy that his strength is coming back.

After therapy Cory was too tired to push himself around so I was able to take him outside for the FIRST TIME and we walked down the street and around the hospital a few times. It was so amazing for Cory to be able to look at the birds and grass and trees. He was kind of anxious and but excited and then he was sad because he just wants to go home. I am glad that we are getting close to that point because this has really been a loooong and rough hall for ALL OF US!!!

I am so so grateful and proud of Cory and all of the progress he is making. Today we were talking about some of the hard days that we have had from the lip reading (without his lips moving) and me not knowing what he wanted when he was paralyzed, to the long nights with nightmares. Its so hard for us to even remember how bad it was but I really am glad that I have blogged it and have taken pictures to remember all the BAD and GOOD things that have happened.

5 comments:

  1. Cory, I don't know if you remember me but I have been following your blog since everything happened! You and your family have been in our prayers...and still are! Your story is very inspirational and I know that you can overcome this! It's great to see the progress you have made!

    Rob and Amanda Stephan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats awesome Cory!! So good to see you not it the bed! Keep up your hard work, its amazing how far you have come. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful!!! I kept checking the blog to see how everything was going and started to worry when no posts were coming. I was so glad to see that it is going good. Chaney, don't feel bad, that show has most people hooked. :) Glad to hear Cory is progressing. Prayers continue for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOO HOO!! I am truly amazed at your progress!! Keep working, we are anxious to visit when you get home. Love The Scurr's

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow cor!!! you are walking! that is amazing! you have come so far, keep on keepin on! you can do it!

    ps chaney, i love this seasons so you think you can dance, i will for sure vote for ashley!! :)

    ReplyDelete